Once selected by the local selection committee, known as the Faculty Council, a student is awarded membership in the local chapter at a special induction ceremony. With induction, a member assumes certain obligations. According to the National guidelines, "the chapter must conduct a service project for the school or community, and see to the development of an individual service project for each member. Chapters may choose to sponsor fundraising projects or involve themselves with the school to reach the chapter's goals established to encourage scholarship, promote leadership and service, and build character. In addition, regular meetings of the chapter are to be held to conduct chapter business and communicate with members. All active NHS chapter members are expected to support these and other chapter activities."
In order to maintain NHS membership, the following minimum must be done:
1. NHS members must attend the following mandatory meetings. Absences are excusable only for a sports game or a music performance, not for practice for either. All other absences are unexcused. If you are absent from school, you are not expected to attend the meeting. NHS officers cannot excuse you from a meeting; an advisor must oversee this matter. All meetings will be held on Thursday afternoons in the Cafeteria beginning at 2:15 PM. Here is the 2014-2015 schedule:
2. Each member must complete a 15-hour individual service project. You must turn in a service project proposal and keep a time log of your project. The written proposal is due in early fall and the timelog for the project is due in the spring.
- Your proposal form is due at the January 8th meeting. Your individual and group service projects will be due at our May 14th meeting.
3. Participation in the NHS-sponsored dance, the Winter Formal, is mandatory. This is NHS's largest fundraiser and is used to fund service projects and to donate to various charities.
- The 2014-2015 Winter Formal is on Saturday, February 14th, from 7-10 PM. Set up will be in the early afternoon.
4. The one-time dues payment for membership is $15. This must be brought to our first new members' meeting on November 6th. Checks should be made payable to "QCHS NHS."
5. There are participation, attendance, and GPA reviews in each semester. These reviews are made to determine whether a member will remain an active member of NHS. For seniors, this will also determine whether he/she will graduate wearing the NHS stole.
6. Members of NHS are to be good role models and leaders. We don't expect discipline issues from the members of NHS. Serious disciplinary infractions will result in expulsion from the society.