High School Renovation Project
Quakertown Community High School has provided generations of students an education based on a rigorous and comprehensive academic program that prepares them to become responsible and independent citizens. The High School is the keystone of a Quakertown Community education and a source of significant pride for students, staff, alumni, and residents. The Quakertown community has invested in its schools for more than 150 years and understands that a strong school system adds value to homes and community.
Half a Century of Education
Over the past 57 years, the High School has been renovated or added onto five times. Prior to the construction of the new High School in 1954, the site had been a fairground. It was known alternately and possibly, at different times, as the Bucks County Fairgrounds and as Lulu Park. It was at one time the home of the Greater Bucks County Fair. The fairgrounds included an oval track used for sulky races and later for auto races. After the construction of the first High School (now Quakertown Elementary School), it was at times used as an athletic field for the school.
The eastern end of the site, near what is now Fifth Street and Park Avenue, was a swampy low area. An effort was made to fill this area to raise it above the water table by using it as a dump site. The use of this area as a dump was discontinued before the construction of the new High School, which began in 1954. This usage came to light during the construction of the Cafeteria Addition which began in 2001. The subsoil was found to be unsuitable structurally. The subsoil was tested and found to be non-hazardous trash. The material was removed to a depth necessary for the construction of the Cafeteria Addition and transported to a landfill.
After the construction of the new High School beginning in 1954, there were four projects to construct additions to the building. In 1965, construction began on an Auditorium / Music Suite Addition to the east, and a Classroom Addition to the southwest. A small Storage Addition to the northwest near the entrance canopy was also constructed as a part of the 1965 project, and a parking area added to the west of the Classroom Addition.
In 1969, construction began on a small addition to the 1965 Classroom Addition, to house the District offices. In 1987, construction began on four additions to the building. To the south, a Library / Classroom Addition was added to the east of the 1965 Classroom Addition. This addition also linked to the south side of the original 1954 building. A gymnasium addition was built at the southeast corner of the 1954 building. A Band Room suite was built at the northeast corner of the 1954 building. And a two classroom addition was built at the northwest end of the 1954 building to the east of the bus loop. As a part of this project, additional parking was provided along the south of the building and a drop-off driveway was constructed along the eastern side of the building to serve the Gym and Auditorium Lobby.
The Cafeteria Addition project began in 2001. It was built around the three exposed sides of the 1987 Band Room Addition and included a new entrance Lobby to the west of the Band Room. As a part of this project, a new parking area was added along the tennis courts, to the south of the parking area built with the 1987 project, and a new parking lot was constructed on the north side of Park Avenue, across from the new entrance lobby.
The Need for the Project
Several problems within the existing structure were noted during a year long, in-depth facility study conducted by The Architechtural Studio (TAS), QCSD architects.
Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Concerns
Tomorrow Today: Learning Environments for the Digital Learner
The QCSD Board is challenged to not only repair the existing areas of concern but also insure that the money invested in any project meets the needs for the future. Research for 21st century learning environments indicate the need for flexibility, sustainability, and community engagement.
A Design for the Next Half Century of Education
Focus group meetings of teachers, students, administrators and board members were held to determine preliminary needs for the design.
Project Links (under construction)
PlanCon B - Schematic Design, is a technical review conference of the conceptual drawings, site plan and educational specifications. The architect and a district administrator who is knowledgeable about the project and the educational program must be present at the schematic design conference.
PlanCon C not necessary - land purchase